Friday, February 3, 2012

Star-Crossed Slouchy Beret

It's been a few days since my last post. Apologies for anyone checking in and finding nothing new. I was very sad to lose my amazing grandfather this week, so blogging certainly wasn't a priority. However, I kept knitting. Knitting has quickly become a hobby that I can lose myself in and calm down, so when I've had a moment to myself, I've been able to work on my first 'knitting in the round' project: a Star Crossed Slouchy Beret.


Now this is a hat I am proud of. I had tried a "cloche" style hat before, one that was knitted back-and-forth and then sewn together, but the result was somewhat lack lustre. It was very tight and wasn't really a style I'd wear. But this is a hat I'd wear everywhere.

And it was fairly easy to make. I followed a pattern written by Natalie Larson found HERE. Material wise, my sister bought a skein of Loops & Threads Impeccable (worsted) in Kelly Green for the hat (it was her first knitted gift from me) and I used a US 10 circular needle for the rim and US 11 for the body of the hat. Suggestion: have a set of US 10 or 11 DPNs on hand for the end of the hat. After 4-5 decrease repeats, you'll need to transfer the remaining stitched onto the DPNs to finish the hat. I also didn't pay attention to my gauge. I think if you knit moderately loose, it'll turn out lovely.


3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this hat, Kayla! The pattern is gorgeous! I really need to learn how to knit.....or pay you to knit me a hat just like this??? :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your grandpa, Kayla. Great hat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I lost my dad very recently I found that knitting was the only thing that kept me sane. On a happier note, I love your new hat. I've made that pattern twice now and wear my two hats all the time. The colour is great on you!

    ReplyDelete